Saturday, January 28, 2012

Digital Photography - The Basics

As I stated before, I am using this blog for 2 purposes.  One is for all things Mandolin. My wife is a great mandolin player, and I am a beginning note reader on the mandolin. But the second purpose for this blog is for my new hobby, which is Digital Photography.  So I'm writing this blog, not as a professional, but as someone who will share my discoveries along the way.  Hopefully there may be some helpful links or tips for others who are moving from the world of point-and-shoot cameras to the world of DSLR photography.

I'm still waiting for my camera to arrive, so I haven't actually been able to play with the DSLR yet, but I have been watching a few videos to try and better understand the fundamentals.  I've found a YouTube channel that I really like.  The guy is entertaining, and he makes concepts seem simple.  Much of what I initially share with you will likely come from his channel.  I'll be looking for others as well, but for now, I'm watching the videos from KreativeVueTV.

For my first few lessons, I made the following notes:


Part 1 - ISO / APERTURE / SHUTTER SPEED
Click Here to see the actual video tutorial

ISO
(A camera’s sensitivity to light)
  • Higher ISO = more sensitivity to light
  • Lower ISO = less sensitivity to light
Aperture (Contol your depth of field)
  • Higher Aperture = broad depth-of-field (more of the image is in focus)
  • Lower Aperture = narrow depth –of-field (blur background, subject in sharp focus)
Shutter Speed (Controls the duration that light hits the camera sensor
  • Slow Shutter Speed = more light / moving objects may be blurred
  • Shorter Shutter Speed = less light / can capture moving object as if it were still

Part 2 - HISTOGRAM AND METERING

Click Here to see the actual video tutorial


Histogram (Helps you know if you are properly exposing the picture)
A histogram is the DSLR photographer’s light meter.  It displays highlight information on the right and shadow information on the left.  When reviewing your histogram, it is best to consider the information from the right first.
  • Left point shows contrast information
  • Midpoint is your midtones
  • Right point shows exposure
Metering (The DSLR will determine proper exposure settings)
  • Evaluative Metering – Takes the entire picture into account to determine proper exposure
  • Partial Metering – Takes about 9% from the center of the picture to determine proper exposure
  • Spot Metering - Takes about 3% from the center of the picture to determine proper exposure
  • Center Weighted Metering – Takes part of the focus point and part of the background to determine proper exposure

Part 3 - DIFFERENT CAMERA MODES FOR SHOOTING PHOTOS

Click Here to see the actual video tutorial

M = Manual Mode 
(You control everything)
  • Aperture = You Control
  • ISO = You Control
  • Shutter Speed = You Control
NOTE: Hold the shutter down ½ way to use exposure meter and get proper exposure settings

Av = Aperture Priority 
(Ideal for shooting Portraits, Still Objects, and Landscapes)
  • Aperture = You Control
  • ISO = You Control
  • Shutter Speed = Automatic
Tv = Shutter Priority 
( Ideal for shooting Sports, Car Races, any Fast Moving Object or Event)
  • Aperture = Automatic
  • ISO = You Control
  • Shutter Speed = You Control
P = Program 
(Great for beginners, for Indoor or Outdoor Birthday Parties, Casual Picture Taking)
  • Aperture = Automatic
  • ISO = You Control
  • Shutter Speed = Automatic

I would encourage you to go watch these tutorial videos, and then use this post as a reference until you have a working knowledge in these basics of shooting photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment